Persimmon Cashew Smoothie
This persimmon cashew smoothie is the perfect way to transition into fall. It’s rich and creamy with just a hint of sweetness, and it is so warming. Perfect for chilly mornings.
But this smoothie doesn’t just taste good.
Did you know that persimmons are rich in antioxidants, containing 55% of the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin A and 22% of the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C? They are also rich in fiber, B-complex vitamins, manganese, calcium and iron. And recent studies have shown persimmons to be highly effective in killing breast cancer cells and in eradicating colon and prostate cancer cells.
Persimmons can be bitter if they aren’t completely ripe, so be sure to wait until you can easily peel the green calyx from the top before consuming.
What is your favorite way to use persimmons? Let me know in the comments below.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 persimmon, calyx removed and sliced into quarters
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 inch raw ginger
- 2 medjool dates, pits removed
- handful of greens (I love collard greens, but substitute spinach if you'd prefer)
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Sprinkle with additional cinnamon if desired.
Adapted from Holli Thompson