Avocado toast. I love everything about it. It’s delicious, quick and easy to make, is loaded with nutrients, and is a perfect meal or snack at any time of day. Best of all, it’s a snack that kids can make on their own. What’s not to love?!?
You and your kids will love avocado toast because it tastes great.
But you’ll also love knowing that you’re dishing out incredible health benefits at the same time.
Did you know that avocados have more potassium than a banana? In fact, avocados are rich in many essential nutrients, including fiber, vitamins K, B5, B6 and C, folate and potassium.
Adding avocados to your diet also helps regulate blood sugar, provides wide ranging anti-inflammatory benefits, improves skin tone, helps protect against aging, and provides cardiovascular benefits by helping to maintain cholesterol and lowering your risk of heart disease.
Combining avocados with other foods also enables your body to better absorb fat-soluble nutrients. For example, combining avocado and salsa in a salad increases absorption of both lycopene and beta carotene, two powerful antioxidants that help protect cells from the damaging effects of free radicals. Taco salad is on our menu nearly every week and, even when it’s not, my boys will often use avocado as the “dressing” on their greens.
There’s no question that avocado toast is a favorite in our home. I hope it becomes a favorite in yours as well!
- 4 slices of sprouted grain or sourdough bread*
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 2-3 Tablespoons hempseed
- Red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- *substitute organic brown rice cakes for a gluten-free option (we love this brand)
- Toast the bread.
- Cut avocados in half, lengthwise; remove pit and peel. Divide among pieces of toast and spread evenly.
- Slice the lime in half and squeeze juice evenly over each slice of toast.
- Sprinkle each slice of toast with hempseed, red pepper flakes, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.